If you are a new mom, or know of a new mom, chances are you are hearing a lot about colic in babies.
This is a condition when an infant is going to be crying continuously. And the reason is not because the baby is sick or hungry. This crying is not like a normal kind.
In fact it can trigger and cause a child to be in a continuous bad mood. Where they are wailing non-stop for more than 3 days.
And in most cases, it can get even severe where it can last for more than 3 weeks even.
Why is this happening though?
The reasons are always uncertain. You cannot pinpoint why your baby is going through this condition.
It is almost like a mystery which can stay on for a long time.
In most cases, your baby is healthy and is crying or being fussy for no clear reason.
In this article I want to share in detail why you might a baby be going through this condition.
So let’s see the details as to why it happens:
Colic in Babies
Despite its reasons being unclear, the fact is that it can happen in many babies.
The condition can be frequent and intense.
It usually consists of intense crying or extreme fussiness.
Having to go through this can be overwhelming for the parents who cannot really pinpoint why it may be happening in the first place.
One thing that can be common is that it usually happens during the evening time.
No one knows exactly why but that’s how it is.
While colic in babies can happen at any timeframe. It is usually common when the baby is about 6 weeks old. Also if a baby is born prematurely. They might be going through this condition.
In most cases it is possible that it will be going away on its own.
And yes this condition can take place, regardless of the baby’s sex and the way she is fed. Be it breastfeeding or with a bottle, chances are your baby will get colicky.
Now let’s look into the symptoms of this condition.
Symptoms of Colic
It is quite normal that a baby is going to cry. But that crying relates to a reason. They may be fussy over something.
Or they may be just hungry. But what if the crying indicates something far more confusing?
- There are several features that depict symptoms in colic:
- Baby is crying for no reason.
- The crying is continuous and confusing
- It usually takes place during the same times of every day.
- That is in most cases, the fussiness takes place during the end of the day.
- In most cases, the baby will be clenching her fists when she is crying.
- Crying in pain is also common.
- Sometimes the crying can get so severe that the baby will be turning a bright red color.
- Baby’s cry can look like it is in so much pain and cannot control their emotions.
- Did you know that when the baby is crying, they are actually swallowing air.
- And this is what can give baby gas.
- Doing so leads to the baby’s tummy looking like its swollen or very tight.
Now that you know that how the symptoms may look like, it is important that you understand the underlying causes for this condition.
Causes of Colic
As I said while the reason, the exact reason why colic in babies is happening is a mystery. Researchers are still trying to point and figure out why it is happening.
There can be a few reasons why someone is getting colicky.
Let’s look into what those can be:
- The baby is having pain and sheer discomfort
- This can be due to having gas or indigestion problems
- Overfeeding too can sometimes make the baby cranky
- Underfeeding is also a possibility that is making the baby feel sick
- Overstimulation is something people consider as being the reason of concern
- Sometimes a child may be going through strong migraine headaches
- These can cause emotional reactions like having fear and frustration
- If your child is having a strong reaction to fear or frustration that can lead them to extreme discomfort
- Doctors also suggest that having a growing digestive system can be a root cause. It can lead to severe muscle spasm.
- Gas release is a major cause of concern.
- In most cases, a developing nervous system can often lead to major concerns
Getting a Diagnosis
It is important that you get a proper diagnosis. That will allow the doctor to rule out any serious issues. Sometimes getting the view of the doctor is important.
Having to do so allows you to ensure that complete care is the key.
When your doctor looks into your condition, they will rule out some serious problems. Which includes:
- Having an infection
- Acid reflux can happen
- Stomach problems can prevail
- To have a strong reaction or sensitivity to either formula or breast milk
- There is pressure or having inflammation
- Sometimes eye trouble or even increased pressure causes concerns
- Uneven heartbeat can also relate to colic in babies.
- This is an important element to getting diagnosis
- Your doctor will determine whether the colic is because there is some serious injury to your bones and muscles
The diagnosis is mainly to determine how serious the condition is. Also linking it to the baby’s history and determining how you can get the best kind of treatment.
Some of the other things your doctor may be looking into include:
- Energy levels
- The skin tone
- Breathing and how it relates to how you look overall
- Body temperature also is important
- Knowing at what weight you exist
These are all the key elements that come together to ensure that your baby is well-looked after.
So now that you know of the symptoms and causes, I want to highlight the effective kind of colic treatment.
Effective Colic Treatment
Since we know that there is no leading cause of colic, it is not possible to know what will be an effective treatment.
Bur that does not mean you should not be aiming for one.
Your doctor will determine which is the most effective one. There are so many ways in which you can work out soothing strategies.
You can try these different practices and eventually you will find something that is going to give you great results.
In most cases colic can get better on its own.
But trying these simple tactics helps in improving the fussiness the baby is going through.
Ways to Soothe Baby
So now I want to share some of the effective ways in which you can actually soothe the nerves of your baby.
Make sure the baby is not hungry. If she is hungry, then you just need to feed her to make her feel better.
- Using a pacifier is also really effective.
- Swaddling the baby can be really helpful too.
- In some cases, if you are holding them against your bare skin is going to do the trick.
- Some babies will love it if you just end up taking them on a car ride.
- Pushing them on a swing or on a vibrating swing is going to do the trick.
- Changing the body position of the baby can also work.
- Sometimes you can just sit the baby up or lie them down.
- If you are holding them while you are walking around. That will also prove to be super effective.
- Rocking them or massaging the back can also be great for the babies.
Colic in babies is common. It happens to many children. But knowing the exact reason is not possible.
Not many people know why it happens.
It is almost like a mystery. But a baby having colic can be in severe distress and they cry uncontrollably.
This makes the parents stressed and uneasy.
In this article I shared and talked of ways in which colic in babies can be uncontrolled.
We looked into the leading symptoms, the causes, why it may happen. As well as getting a proper diagnosis and the effective treatment plan.