Our world and how we work has certainly changed. Things were quite different two years back. But then the pandemic happened and how we take and perceive the world has definitely taken a turn. We are viewing things from a different framework now. Covid-19 has brought with it huge changes and one if the covid-19 anxiety many of us are now completely engulfed with.
It has had a major effect on how our lives maneuver. Things which we were taking for granted- like going for a walk, hanging out at the movies, having a bite with the family, is now turning out to be a major feat. Simple pleasures require a lot of careful planning and precise observation.
But it is very important that you manage stress well. Learning to cope with stress in a healthy way is essential and very much needed at this point in life. In this article, I am going to be sharing with you all the major ways in which you should handle the covid-19 anxiety in a productive and constructive way.
So let’s start:
Understand Covid-19 Anxiety
There is no way to sugar coat it. We are definitely living in very stressful times. You can even call them as frightening. There is no certainty and the worldwide pandemic has brought it with lockdowns and even partial shutdowns.
While the vaccines have been effective and many people are trying to ease out and come onto terms with how travelling is done, the issue is that coronavirus is still very hard to handle and there is no right answer to it.
We are still not sure as to how it will continue to impact us and what more changes and restrictions will come onto us. And this is what is leading to even more anxiety. It is overwhelming and very difficult to manage.
But instead of panicking, you can actually overcome your fears and manage covid-19 anxiety in a much better manner and framework.
Copying with Stress
The pandemic has imposed various restrictions on us. Social distancing has led to various complications in our lives. We are feeling more and more lonely and the isolation is having a major negative impact on our lives and how we lead them.
You need to know how to cope with your stress in a proper manner. Because if you don’t, it can cause different kinds of feelings to stir in you. These will be including:
- Feelings of extreme sadness and anger
- Having numbness which just increases over time
- Complete difficulty in concentration
- Making decisions becomes frustrating and overwhelming
- Having nightmares
- In some cases, you will likely suffer from even physical reactions such as headaches and body pains
- Worsening chronic health problems which do not get better with time
- Even your mental health can get impacted
- You will notice that there is a change in your appetite
- This also includes a change in things you desire and have interests in
- Some people may even create a nasty habit of smoking tobacco as well as other substances
So when talking about ways to cope with this stress, you need to first realize how much of information do you actually need and where is this coming from.
Continue reading and you will understand what I am talking about:
Not Becoming Obsessive Over Sources
While it is important that you get plenty of information, you should also understand when it becomes too much information. Two things you need to keep in mind- what is happening in your community and how can you play a role in not spreading the virus further on.
But here’s the thing, there is a lot of misinformation as well which you need to be clearly aware of. It actually does more harm than good. And when you read too much into something, it only adds into your stress and will make the condition even worse.
Checklist to Manage Covid-19 Anxiety
So I am giving you an overview of some major things and a checklist you can maintain to ensure you are keeping your health in check and complete order:
- Make sure you are getting all your information from well-informed sources. When you are looking at information from a range of sources, there is no confirmation that all of them are authentic. Make sure you are following a few trustworthy sources.
- You should also be limiting how often are you trying to check for any updates. Having to constantly monitor the news can have many effects on how you are managing your stress. It can even make you more impulsive. So how about you ease on your need to know everything constantly.
- The thing is, media has a major story lead right now. This is a lead which is not changing anytime soon. So naturally, you will see a range of headlines spluttered across your screen. But you need to stay away from the media. Set a limited time only to watch the news and check the media. Better to skip a day as well in between.
- Reliability from your peers also matters. You should be asking someone you know well to update you on whatever is happening around. So if you can actually skip the need to look at the media altogether. Try that. And get your updates from reliable close ones. But again, only news which is important and matters.
- And if you have received certain information, it is important you only pass it on when you are 100% sure that it is completely authentic. If you share a news which is not confirmed yet, you will probably make the other person anxious and worried over nothing.
- Distract yourself and your loved ones. Game nights have never been so fun. Meet up with your friends and take a night off from living in this pandemic era. Enjoy the time as if its pre-covid.
Now that you know how to take charge of all that is happening outside which is not in control and manage it in ways which don’t make you completely paranoid. Here’s something you should also focus on- understand and manage things which are definitely in your control.
We don’t know how long the pandemic is going to last, we don’t know how many people and regions will continue to remain infected. How effective will the vaccines will there be and how many variants will continue to evolve.
All of this can make anyone lose their minds. But here is something- whenever you feel extremely anxious, try to focus your energy on what you can actually control. You need to focus on how you can keep your personal risk to a minimum.
Simple Steps to Manage Personal Risk
Just by following these super simple steps, you are going to manage your own personal health in a better way. And just think about it- if everyone did the same, the virus can actually be contained in a much more effective and stronger manner. All you need to be doing is:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds.
- And you should be washing them as frequently as possible using soap and water
- Make use of hand sanitizers which contain at least 60% alcohol
- Try to make a pact that you will not touch your face as frequently. This includes your face, nose and especially your mouth
- Stay at home. Even if you are not feeling as sick, stay more at home
- This is especially true when there is a crowd outside. Avoid going into gatherings which have more than 10 people
- Make it a habit to not go out for non-essential shopping
- While everyone would want to desperately travel right now, avoid doing so as much as possible
- You should be getting plenty of rest so sleep for at least 8 hours of sleep. This helps with your immune system
- Learn to keep 6 feet of distance between yourself and others
- Make sure you are adapting all the recommendations from health experts
Plan What You Can
The coronavirus era has certainly put a dent on how we manage things. It is very natural that you are worried how things will turn out especially personally, like schools, jobs, self-quarantining. So while it is not possible to be certain how things will turn out, turns out you can relieve some of the stress by managing a few things like:
- Jolt down what is keeping you worried. How it is disrupting your personal life and list it all out in a notepad
- Then when you have done so, you can think of some possible solutions that may work. Remember we are not looking for the perfect answers here but anything that will get your mind off and help you to manage covid-19 anxiety better
- Also it works if you are able to focus on things which you can change and manage better. This also helps for you to back off the stress triggers when you have your attention directed somewhere else
- Lastly when you are understanding the options, you can create a great plan of action. This really helps putting things in perspective and making you realize that you can manage things and everything is temporary