Have you ever seen someone involved in a rapid eye movement condition?
This basically means that they are not having control over how the eye is moving. And this can happen either in one eye or both.
It is actually something which can cause you to suffer from vision issues. This is more so in adults and can cause them to have even sharp episodes of blurriness.
In some cases, people also call it the ‘dancing eyes’ condition or its medical name which is ‘nystagmus’.
And as the name suggests, it basically entails to now being able to control how the eye keeps on rolling.
Many people may be suffering from it and not everyone actually knows what it is.
In this article I want to talk in detail over what this medical condition is. How we can identify it, symptoms, causes, diagnosis and what treatments currently exist.
So let’s start:
What is Nystagmus?
In its simplest form, this condition basically relates to having uncontrollable movements of the eyes.
It can be severe for some people, so much so that you are not able to sit and have a decent conversation with anyone.
These movements can take place at any point in time.
It can relate to you having reduced vision.
Also there is depth perception ambiguity, meaning it can easily affect how you are able to control and get a stronger monitoring of balance and coordination.
So what is the movement pattern?
These can take place either from side to side, or it is also common that it triggers in a movement which is up and down and sometimes people suffer from a continuous circular pattern.
When that happens, both of your eyes will not be able to actually focus on an object steadily.
This makes a person get nauseous and not be able to hold the head in a steady position.
In fact it comes to unusual positions and this makes your condition even worse. In most cases, the condition can even worsen, up to the point where you will need medical treatment and examination.
Now let’s look into some of its most common forms:
Types of Nystagmus
When it comes to how your eyes are continuously moving, there are quite a few leading ways on which it happens and it relates to the time frame on when it can actually happen for a person.
Let me break these down for you:
Infantile- this relates to the onset of this condition when you are 2 to 3 months. This is the earliest onset of this condition.
And when it happens, your eyes will be moving in an horizontal framework. Meaning it is a condition which is causing you to suffer from albinism as well as congenital absence of the iris.
The Spasmus nutans is yet another state which can happen when you are about 6 months to 3 years of age. This means children who are falling in this age time frame will be having a condition where their heads will be tilting now.
They cannot control it entirely and it causes for the children to have eyes which are continuously moving in any direction. While this can become a nuisance for a child to lead a normal life, in most cases, you will not be needing treatment for this condition.
Acquired is the condition which will take place at the later stages of childhood and adulthood. It is something which is still not completely understood.
It can relate to conditions with the brain, but it can also trigger in issues of metabolism and toxicity.
When that is the case, it becomes hard to manage this kind of rapid eye movement and that too when it is taking place later in life.
Let’s now look into the leading causes and risk factors to this condition.
(Learn more about Pulpotomy Treatment here.)
Rapid Eye Movement Causes
So this basically relates to reasons as to why you may be suffering from this condition.
- It is an onset of a neurological problem.
- Meaning that it can take place because of birth or due to some condition early in childhood.
- A neurological anomaly can cause its onset.
- This can be extremely hurtful to your health and can also lead to certain complications as well if not looked into and taken care of in a timely manner.
- Albinism is also something which can take place.
- Very high refractive error is also quite common.
- Congenital cataracts is also something you have to look into and analyze. It makes up for and represents how this condition can only worsen with time.
- Inflammation of the inner ear is also a common cause for this condition. This means you will be having the condition of rapid eye movement happening.
- There are also certain medication which you can take on which can cause you to actually suffer from this condition.
- With age it also becomes uncontrollable. You cannot have it sorted properly.
- There are also central nervous system diseases which make your condition worse with time.
Now that you have a fair idea on what are the leading causes of this condition, let’s now highlight what kind of symptoms will be associating with it.
Rapid Eye Movement Symptoms
When it comes to analyzing the symptoms for this condition, you should know that it is not something that you can determine easily.
Here are some of the major symptoms you can identify:
- Involuntary eye movement is the major symptom. It is a sign that something is wrong.
- Movement is also something that can actually come and go.
- It is uncontrollable and it can happen in one or both eyes.
- You will also be suffering from a condition in which the objects will be appearing quite blurry.
- Also things will seem shaky to you.
- The vision gets even more blurry, making your focus even more distant.
- Balance and dizziness is also common condition.
- You should be focusing on ways in which you can ensure that your eye movement is focused.
When it comes to diagnosing this condition, you will be having a comprehensive eye exam. This is needed to ensure that your health is in mint condition.
The test focuses on and emphasizes the need to make sure the movement is proper. Some of the main things your doctor will be looking at include:
- The patient’s history- this determines how often the patient is going through this condition and what are the ways to combat it.
- A visual acuity measurement is done to ensure that the vision is not affected.
- The doctors will also be having a refraction which determines and analyzes what is the proper lens power needed to make sure the treatment is effective
- It is important that you realize that your condition will be getting worse if you don’t get treatment in a proper manner
- There will also be proper testing as to what is the eye focus, how its movement and work comes together.
- Usually there is also some underlying condition due to which your symptoms are even more severe.
- It is also important to look into how this information is going to be properly analyzed by your doctor to determine what kind of treatment to go for.
Treatment for Rapid Eye Movement
When talking about improving the condition of nystagmus, it is not that you will be able to control this condition completely.
Sometimes even making use of eyeglasses and contact lenses can make all the difference in the world.
They will allow to improve the vision.
You can also make use of large-print books. Magnifying devices are also effective. There is also increased lighting which makes it even more helpful.
This condition is something that can get better in childhood.
However as you age, its effects will get worse and make the treatment even harder to show any kinds of results.
In some cases, you can also opt for surgery.
This will help in reducing the need for a person to continuously turn his or her head when opting for better vision.
But make sure you speak to your medical advisor and get a proper treatment plan in order. As it is not entirely true that the treatment for one person is going to be as effective as the treatment for another person.
Rapid eye movement is not a rare condition. It is something which is also known as the dancing eye condition.
This means the eye is moving uncontrollably.
You will be suffering from it as you cannot easily control how your head moves and tilts when it is being impacted by this condition.
In this article we talked about and looked into the details of how is this condition happening. The major causes are touched upon.
I also gave you the leading symptoms for this condition.
As well as what are the causes, how you can get a proper diagnosis of it. Also it is important that you analyze how you will be getting the complete treatment.
This condition is something that you can combat and control in a proper manner.