Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth is the last tooth to erupt from the gum tissues in your mouth. It usually happens after the age of eighteen. At this age, all your permanent teeth are in place. Therefore, there is no space left for more teeth.
This situation makes it difficult for your wisdom tooth to erupt properly. As a result, you will experience discomfort and pain in your gum tissues.
Many people believe that all wisdom teeth should be removed which is not true. At Dentist Ahmed, we only remove those wisdom teeth that are causing you discomfort due to inflammation and recurring swelling.
We only remove your wisdom tooth if it becomes a risk for your neighboring teeth.
Is it Important to Remove a Wisdom Tooth
It is important to remove a wisdom tooth if it is causing pain, discomforts, and headaches.
Importance of Wisdom Tooth Removal
It is very important to remove your wisdom tooth when it is causing discomfort in your mouth. Following are the reasons why your dentist would remove your wisdom tooth:
- Your wisdom tooth can damage the adjacent teeth, surrounding nerves, and even your jawbone. Teeth are horizontally positioned in your mouth, and your wisdom tooth may put undesired pressure on them.
- A partially erupted wisdom tooth makes a way for bacteria to enter your gums. The bacteria will affect the open site on your gums and cause infection. The infection may lead to multiple problems such as jaw stiffness, inflammation, fever, and pain.
- It is not possible to clean constantly inflamed gums.
- Your partially erupted wisdom tooth has a high chance of decaying. It is not possible to maintain hygiene of such a tooth due to its location. Therefore, removing such a tooth is the best option to avoid other problems.
Reasons forWisdom Tooth Extraction
You will need wisdom tooth extraction for different reasons such as:
- Your wisdom tooth may damage the nearby teeth due to improper tooth alignment.
- It can cause repeated infection in your soft tissues located behind your tooth.
- It is causing extensive tooth decay which will lead to further complications.
- There is insufficient space for your wisdom tooth to come through, and it is cause discomfort and pain which is affecting your life.
Procedure for Tooth Removal
The procedure for removing your wisdom tooth at Dentist Ahmed is simple and convenient:
- You take an appointment with your dentist to discuss the condition of your wisdom tooth.
- Your dentist will examine your mouth. He will also ask you about any medications you use, or you have any health problems.
- It is very important that you tell him every medicine you use, and you must not hide any health problems from him.
- Sometimes it is important to treat another health issue before extracting a tooth especially if your blood sugar levels are high.
- Your dentist will administer local anesthesia to numb your wisdom tooth and its surrounding area.
- Sometimes, your dentist will need to make an incision into your gum. The purpose of the incision is to expose and reach the entire wisdom tooth.
- Your dentist may need to cut your wisdom tooth into small pieces if it is not possible to extract it in one piece.
- The duration for the entire procedure can vary from fifteen minutes to one hour depending on the condition of your tooth.
- The dentist may advise you to visit him after a few days to ensure that the suture is dissolved, or he may remove it.
- It is normal for you to bleed from the site of tooth extraction for the next few hours.
- Your jaw may become sore and stiff once the effect of anesthesia goes away. For this problem, your dentist will prescribe you painkillers and antibiotics. It is necessary that you take the prescribed medicines to avoid pain and development of infection.
- Your dentist will also advise you to use cold pack to sooth pain and swelling.
- You will be told to eat soft food for a few days because eating hard food can damage your wound and cause pain.
- Your dentist will also tell you not to smoke and drink alcohol while your wound is healing.
Side Effects of Wisdom Tooth Extraction
There are side effects of wisdom tooth extraction that include damage to the root of your nearby tooth. It can also damage bridges and crowns of neighboring teeth.
Symptoms of Impacted Wisdom Tooth
Who Extracts Wisdom Tooth
When to Extract Wisdom Tooth
How Long it Takes to Remove a Wisdom Tooth
It can take up to an hour or even more to remove a wisdom tooth depending on the condition and location of that wisdom tooth.
Aftercare Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Aftercare is a very important phase once your dentist removes your wisdom tooth. Your must take the following precautions after wisdom tooth extraction:
- You should relax after the surgery, and you should not lie down flat.
- Use a pillow to prop up your head, and gently massage the swollen area with ice pack.
- Your bleeding should stop after 24 hours. Therefore, visit your dentist if bleeding continues even after 24 hours.
- Use warm salt water to garble because it helps to reduce swelling.
- You should make sure that you do not bite your tongue and cheek because it can happen when your mouth is numb after the surgical procedure.
- You should only eat soft food and avoid eating hard foods until your wound completely heals.
- You should not smoke or drink while you are healing.
- Do not touch the effected area because it can slow down your healing process.
- Do not stop brushing; however, you should brush softly on teeth and gums.
A wisdom tooth or a third molar is the last tooth to erupt into your mouth. It is the furthest tooth from the front of your mouth.
A wisdom tooth usually erupts between the age of 18 to 21, but it can vary between patients.
No, some people have up to four wisdom teeth. However, most people have one or two wisdom teeth. So, you can have one, two, three or even four wisdom teeth.
No, it does not cause a problem in many cases. A wisdom tooth may fully erupt into your mouth, and it may function and behave exactly like any other tooth in your mouth. When a wisdom tooth remains fully buried, it can often be left alone especially if your dentist believes it will not cause problems in the future. However, he will remove a diseased or problematic wisdom tooth.
Infection around a partially erupted wisdom tooth is a major reason for wisdom tooth extraction. Other reasons include decaying and badly broken tooth. A wisdom tooth can also cause the adjacent tooth to decay. Sometimes, it can cause a cyst to form which can create other issues in your mouth.
In general, wisdom tooth extraction is not difficult, but it requires more time than other teeth. It is difficult to remove lower wisdom as compared to removal of upper wisdom tooth. The extraction becomes difficult when the impact of your wisdom tooth gets higher. The extraction will also get difficult if your wisdom tooth has badly decayed.
The difficulty also increases with age. The best age for wisdom tooth extraction is between 20 and 35.
The most lower wisdom tooth is not removed like other teeth. You will need an oral surgery to get it extracted. The oral surgeon will make a gum in your gum and expose your jawbone in that area. He will use a drill to free up the wisdom tooth and then remove it.
No, your doctor at Dentist Ahmed will ensure that your mouth is fully numb. He will use a local anesthesia for this purpose; however, you will feel pinches in your mouth. You will not feel the cut in your mouth. You will feel some pressure and pushing which is not pain, and you can avoid it.